Carbon monoxide is scary for a lot of people because it's something that you can't see, you can't smell it, and if comes from many appliances we used in our home on a day to day basis! If too much is released in your home it can be very dangerous. So, how do you know what can produce carbon monoxide in your home and how do you protect against that in your home?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is extremely toxic to people and animals.
Carbon monoxide is released from every appliance in your home that burns a fossil fuel such as a gas stove, hot water tank, furnace, etc.
When we are testing a house for carbon monoxide, we walk through with our detectors. On time, we found that there was 20 parts per million (ppm) of CO in a customer’s kitchen. This CO was continuously leaking from a very old gas stove.
Although zero CO in your air is ideal, the cut-off level for CO in your home is 9 ppm. Therefore, this was an extremely dangerous living situation for this customer and is a huge reason why we share these tips on how to keep you and your family safe from CO.
If your CO Detector is going off, it is crucial to respond quickly. Never assume that it is a false alarm. Make sure to get your family and pets out of the building and call the fire department. Firefighters also have specialized equipment that can detect how much CO is in the air, and whether it is safe or not.
Make sure you are taking every measure you can to keep your family safe from CO poisoning. Always keep a CO detector on each floor, ensure you are keeping up with maintenance on your appliances, and use your appliances as directed. If you have any questions about carbon monoxide, where it comes from, and how to keep your family safe from it, contact us at Forquer Heating and Air Conditioning today!